You can create that light bulb moment that could potentially save lives.
Asbestos is a dangerous and deadly material that was once widely used in construction and manufacturing. Although its use was banned in December 2003, it is still present in many public buildings and homes in Australia, which poses a significant risk to human health.
To be an asbestos ambassador in your community, here are some ways you can help raise awareness about the dangers of asbestos:
- Educate yourself: It is essential to understand the risks associated with asbestos, including how it is used, where it can be found, and the health hazards associated with exposure.
- Spread the word: Share with your friends, family, and colleagues, follow Reflections social handles and share articles, host a fundraising/awareness event, join a fundraising activity or simply start the conversation.
- Contact your local government: Reach out to your local government officials and ask them to create programs to help educate people about the dangers of asbestos.
- Work with community organisations: Partner with community organisations, such as schools, churches, or health clinics, to raise awareness about asbestos. Hold events to tell people about the ongoing risks of exposure.
- Support advocacy groups: Consider supporting organisations that work to ban or regulate the use of asbestos. You can donate money, volunteer your time, or simply spread the word about their work.
- Encourage testing: If you suspect that yours or a friend’s home or workplace may contain asbestos, encourage testing to determine whether there is any risk of exposure. Testing can help identify areas where asbestos may be present so that appropriate measures can be taken.
Raising awareness about the ongoing risk of asbestos is crucial in protecting the health and safety of the community. By educating, regulating, identifying, training, and supporting, we can work towards a safer and healthier Western Australia.
For more information about asbestos, visit the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency. Talk to the team at Reflections to find out how you can raise awareness of the risks of asbestos in your community. Together, we can make a difference and change lives. #makingadifference #changinglives”BACK TO NEWS